Friday, March 2

Beer Battered Fish & Chips {recipe}

I've said it before and I'll probably say it a million times, I have such picky eaters in my house that I rarely get to try "different" recipes. One thing they aren't fond of here in the Cyr household is fish.  Me on the other hand, I LOVE it. Every once in awhile I say "screw it!" and make whatever I want, last night was one of those nights. Although its far from a "different" recipe, I went with the classic Beer Battered Fish & Chips. I got this recipe from the Food Network Website.

Beginnings of Fish and Chips.
Beer Battered Fish and Chips

1 3/4 c Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Spice Blend (or your favorite spice blend)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 can (12 oz) Beer, or de-alcoholized beer
1 1/2 lbs firm white fish fillets, haddock or halibut (I used Haddock)

Preheat Deep fryer or a large pot with about 3" of vegetable oil in the bottom on medium heat. (be very careful when using the pot method. It splatters and oil burns HURT ALOT!)
Beat the egg whites and beer together. Mix in all the dry ingredients.

Be sure your fish is fully thawed, if it was frozen, and dry. Use a dish towel or paper towels to make sure you dry it fully! (I did not dry some pieces completely and I had a hard time getting the batter to stick)

Cut the fillets in 2 or 3 pieces, whichever you prefer, and dip them in the batter. Make sure they are fully covered in batter and then gently put the fish pieces into the oil or deep fryer.

 *TIP* Have everything ready to go before you put the fish in to cook, it doesnt take very long and you want to eat it as soon as it comes out of the fryer.  So make the fries first, have them almost done, set up a little station something like this, and then FRY! Also have lots of Febreeze on hand for after supper, your house is going to STINK! But its so worth it!

Best to be prepared, have your little work station all set up.
...and your "chips" just about ready.
Let the fish cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until its a nice golden Brown. Use a  slotted spoon and an oven mitt to turn and get the fish out of the oil.
BE CAREFUL!! Or you'll end up with little red dots all over your arm like moi...not cool.
Golden Beer Battered Fish, perfect for pub night at home.

Fish and Chips Mates?
Serve with Lemon and Ketchup! & Enjoy!
 Original Source

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious......love fish so I will be trying this next week!!!!

    ReplyDelete