Tuesday, September 6

Camping Cookies{w/ recipe}

Last week I was dreading the long weekend, I'm not gonna lie. We planned this camping trip with 2 other couples and some friends, only a little over an hour away at The Ovens Park in Lunenburg NS but still a lot of work to get everything together and organized and lets face it, I'm a complete city chick. So sleeping in a tent, with no showers and lots of bugs did not sound like the way I wanted to spend my last weekend of Summer. Boy was I wrong!  The campground was amazing! We had the greatest group of people, delicious food, and the most relaxing weekend. When I came back and was talking to a friend she said "Camping is good for the soul!" Couldn't have said it better myself, I feel completely rejuvenated!

So before we went camping our modem crapped out (hence my blogging absence) so I was a little bored. I decided to make a little treat for our fellow campers, thinking of Bestie Ash, I went straight to the healthy cookbook. (Company's Coming: Kids Healthy Cooking) My mom gave me this cookbook for Charlee, all the recipes in it are great for kids, and the book is broken down into recipes to help with different health issues (ie. low fat foods for your heart, vitamin A & C for your skin and hair, etc.) Its extremely educating, even for me!


Anyway to the good stuff!! :) I made the "Healthy Chocolate Chippers" recipe but substituted the chocolate chips for raisins, then buried a single herseys kiss in the center. Talk about yummy!


You can find this recipe in the "Go With the Flow: Iron and B vitamins for your Blood" Section of the Kids Healthy Cooking Cook Book.

Healthy Chocolate Chippers (via Companys Coming: Kids Healthy Cooking) 

1/2 c softened butter
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream until smooth and fluffy. Then add:

3/4c Flour
2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Mix well, until no dry flour remains. Add the remaining ingredients:

1 c quickcooking rolled oats
3/4 c dried apricot
3/4 c chocolate chips
* I substituted the fruit and chocolate for raisins; for my variation you will also need 24 hersey's kisses


burying the kisses was Charlee's Job, she loves helping bake cookies and cupcakes.
 Drop by heaping tsp onto a lined baking sheet, bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes about 24 cookies

Bre's Variation:
Drop mounds onto lined baking sheet, press one unwrapped chocolate kiss into the center. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment