Friday, January 6

Homemade Hummus

Calling all Fellow Hummus Lovers!!


I don't think there are any hummus recipes that are really "hard", more or less trying to get one that has the right proportion of ingredients. Hummus has become one of my favorite snacks for entertaining and evening snacks, it has become a staple on the shopping list. So I figured I'd save a couple bucks by making it myself, I make everything else! We usually shop at Sobeys, and they have a great international food section but one thing they don't have (at our local Sobeys anyway) was tahini paste. BUT! Alas they carry it at Superstore in many sizes, I bought the Tahina Brand, 1lb for less than $5.


So finally today, I pulled out all the ingredients and whipped up a double batch of Sun dried Tomato Hummus. So far so good! The recipe says that you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days and even freeze it for up to a month! Hence the double batch!


So this is the recipe I used, then decided to step it up and add some sun dried tomatoes to half.






Hummus
(single batch)

1 19 oz can Chickpeas (reserve some  liquid)
1/4 c liquid from Chickpeas
3 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tbsp Tahini Paste
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil

Put it all in the food process, on high for 2 minutes, scrape the sides and turn it on low for another minute.

Sun dried Tomato Hummus: Follow recipe, then add 1/4 c roughly chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil (but drain them, lol) when adding all the other ingredients. Easy Peasy!

Store in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge or up to 1 month in the freezer. (would never last that long here in the freezer) Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment