Thursday, February 9

Homemade Bread--From Scratch!

When I was in College, taking cooking, we used to bake bread almost every day, and it always turned out.  Taking my newly learned skills home, I tried this same recipe for bread...well folks I ended up with an inedible DOOR STOP! Very discouraging when you spend hours, kneading and waiting, and portioning and waiting some more, only for it to NOT rise when its in the pan and become nothing more than a solid mass. I didn't make bread for years.

About 2 years ago Mom and Dad gave me their bread maker, so I decided to try again, I made the dough in the bread maker then took it out to rise and bake in the oven. (These were the days before the Kitchen-Aid) It was edible, but it wasn't that AMAZING homemade bread like Grandma made. So after a few attempts I gave up on this too.

A few weekends ago mom and dad came up to Babysit the little monster Princess and brought homemade bread they had made. It was soooo good. The urge to play Suzy homemaker and try again came over me, and today I finally did it. And in case you hadn't guessed by the post, IT WORKED!


*Insert Very very Very Happy Dance here*
Not only does it LOOK like bread and smell like bread, when you pick it up, its light and squishy and I don't think it would make a very good Door Stop.

Here is the recipe I used, its from the old school Purity Cookbook like your Mother and Grandmother had.  I halved it because...well I didn't need 17 loaves (well not quite) of Bread for our house. You can make the whole thing and freeze it, I'll probably do this next time, now that I know I can actually do it.


White Bread
(Makes 1 loaf; 1 pan rolls)

Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2c warm water and sprinkle 1 package of yeast over the top, 8g. let sit for 10 minutes, then whisk with a fork.

Scald 1c of milk
Pour into a large bowl and add:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp shortening
1/2 c water

Stir until the shortening melts, cool to lukewarm.
Add yeast mixture to milk and add 2 1/2 c flour. Mix (I used my Kitchen-Aid, with the dough hook attachment)

Gradually add 2-2 1/2 c flour, ensuring that each time the flour is mixed into the dough. You may need to add it all or not. I ended up using 4 1/4(ish) cups of flour when I made it this morning. If your dough becomes too dry, add some water 1 tbsp at a time.

Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled, in a warm place.
(Bre's proofing Trick: When I start getting stuff ready for the bread I turn the oven on 300. I then turn it off and keep the door shut, when I'm ready for the bread to rise I stick it in the oven covered with a dish towel, and leave the oven door open a crack. Works like a charm!)

Punch Down and put in greased pans, as rolls or loaves, cover and let rise to double the size and bake at 425 for 30-35minutes. (check at 20)
When you tap on the top of the loaf and it sounds hollow, that's when you know its ready. (trick from school)

No comments:

Post a Comment