Thursday, July 28

Cape Breton Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

As I was digging in the freezer this morning I found a bag of frozen rhubarb my Grandmother had grown and given me. Already all chopped up and measured! (I'm spoiled) Other than strawberry rhubarb pie the best thing to make with Grammy's Rhubarb, is upside down cake. If you don't have a Grandmother that spoils you with pre-chopped rhubarb as mine does....The hardest part of this recipe is washing and chopping the rhubarb. Buuuut if you do it in big batches you can measure it out and freeze it in a ziploc bag for future cakes. Makes it so quick and easy!


Since the Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins post was such a hit, I decided I could share this "Old Fashioned" recipe too, straight from the Island. So here it is, just as its written in Grammy's Book. Also I have no idea what makes this a Cape Breton Upside down Cake, thats just what its called people. I dont make these things up!


Cape Breton Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

3 c chopped Rhubarb
1/3 c Brown Sugar
1/3 c White Sugar
 Mix together and allow to cook a little in a low temp oven (put in 9x13 pan) I cooked it on 300 for as long as it took me to throw all the ingrients for the cake batter into my mixer.

Cake Batter:

1 c flour
2/3 c white sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix in a bowl and drop on rhubarb in dobs (Maybe this is what makes it Cape Breton....if your from cape breton you know what that means, if not... it means spoonfuls.)

Topping:
1 c boiling water (use a little less if your rhubarb was frozen, some water will come out of rhubarb while cooking)
2/3 c brown sugar
2 tbsp butter

Pour over cake, going around dobs. (yep thats what it says!)

350 till golden; until the cake is cooked. ( about 30 minutes then check it)


The combination of sour rhubarb and the sweet cake is addicting, so be prepared to eat more than one portion in a sitting! And as always, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment