Tuesday, March 22

Homemade Marshmallows!

Hello Again!
So I've been wanting to try this recipe for awhile! Last night I had nothing to blog about and nothing to do, so I took out the recipe and my mixer and went to town. If your good at multitasking this is a very easy and quick recipe, it turned out great. 

With that being said I'm not one to sit and eat marshmallows so I would only make these again if I was using them in another recipe, or for a treat for the kids. I would suggest trying dipping them in chocolate, or adding a fruity extract instead of vanilla that would make them more appealing. 

My other tip is to be VERY quick when your putting them in the pan have a spatula or icing spreader ready to smooth them out. Mine turned out all funky on the top because I wasn't quick enough, so I added colored sugar to make it look a little bit better. So...here it is!

Marshmallow Recipe

1/2 c Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla (or other extract if you prefer)
1 tsp corn syrup 
1/3 c water
2 packs of unflavored gelatin (2 tbsp)
1/3 c water
1 egg white
icing sugar for dusting

Prepare your 8x8 pan, line with parchment paper and dust with icing sugar.

Combine sugar, vanilla, corn syrup, 1/3 c water  in small saucepan, Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring and boil until it reaches 240 on a candy thermometer, about 8 minutes. 

In a heat proof bowl dissolve gelatin in 1/3 c water.

In your mixer bowl, whip one egg white until it forms soft peaks.

( right now you should have 2 bowls and 1 pot all with differnt steps, see what I meant about the multi tasking)

Once the sugar reaches temp, pour into the gelatin and water mixture and stir. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes. With your mixer running, pour into egg white in a slow steady stream.

Whip until stiff peaks form and then QUICKLY pour into parchment lined dish and spread with a spatula to flatten. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut into squares. To store use an airtight container with parchment between layers of the marshmallows.

What it should look like before pouring into your pan.

I added a little purple food coloring to mine just for kicks. They should be smooth on top if you pour them quick, i waited too long and they started to set up. Oops!

Now you can use your marshmallows on hot chocolate, in Rice Krispie squares or Smores! If you do try this recipe please post a comment and let me know how they turned out and what you plan to use them for.

1 comment:

  1. They look awesome! I've always wanted to try to make my own marshmallows. Bet you they would be good roasted over a fire :)

    ReplyDelete