Monday, March 7

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

So for Sunday Dinner we had the neighbors over and I decided to get really ambitious and make some "fancy" cupcakes! Martha Stewart's Lemon Meringue! I've also been dieing to use my filling tip, it was the perfect opportunity. They were awesome, and looked pretty too.

I cheated on this recipe and bought the package of Sherrifs Lemon Pie Filling. The one you make on the stove with the egg yolks and butter, the one I could just eat straight out of the pot while its still hot...MMM. I haven't perfected making my own Lemon filling, but one day I will. Until then, Sherrifs has done a great job filling (HA!) in.

Here is the recipe for the "meringue" on top. This icing is the taste equivalent to the boiled icing my mom used to make when I was a kid, I love it. It is probably my favorite Icing, and it might be because its one of the few icings I can eat as much as I want of. Being lactose intolerant BUTTER cream and CHOCOLATE icings aren't exactly ideal.

Martha Stewart's 7 Minute Frosting
(half of original recipe, and there was more than enough for a dozen cupcakes)

3/4 c + 1tbsp Sugar
1/3 c Water
1 tbsp corn syrup
3 egg whites (save from lemon pie filling)

Combine 3/4 c sugar and water in a small pot and boil without stirring until it reaches 230 on a candy thermometer

Meanwhile whisk egg whites on medium-high until soft peaks form. With mixer running add 1 tbsp sugar. As soon as the sugar reaches 230 degrees, with mixer on medium pour syrup down the side of the bowl in a slow steady steam. Raise speed to high and whisk until icing is completely cool and stiff (but not dry) peaks form. (est 7 minutes) USE IMMEDIATLEY

Happy Baking!

Cupcakes Filled with Lemon Pie Filling

Added the 7 minute icing 




The Finished Product I used a small kitchen torch to give them color and that awesome meringue taste






1 comment:

  1. OH MY! is all I have to say. These look to die for. I have a Martha Stewart cupcake cookbook and have never made anything out of it but have wanted to. I will have to try this recipe, maybe for my husbands Birthday. Great idea to use your kitchen torch!

    ReplyDelete